Frequently Asked Questions
General Franchising FAQs
Why the 7-Eleven system?
The 7-Eleven brand is a global icon — instantly recognized and understood internationally.
We’re known to customers around the world for our products, quality, service, cleanliness and value. And we’re the benchmark for innovation, technology and profitability in the convenience store industry.
What are the differences between the 7-Eleven system and other franchise systems?
Most franchise systems require royalty payments based on a percentage of sales. With the 7-Eleven system, you pay royalties based upon the store’s gross profit, that is, net sales receipts less the wholesale cost of the merchandise you sell.
Under this system, the financial return to you and to 7-Eleven is tied to profitable sales rather than just sales. That’s why 7-Eleven goes beyond helping you increase sales by giving you the tools and resources you need to increase your profitability.
What qualifications does 7-Eleven seek in potential franchisees?
7-Eleven seeks candidates that possess the ideal mix of personal qualities, professional experience, and financial standing to successfully operate a 7-Eleven franchise. For more details, please visit our Candidate Profile page.
7-Eleven is committed to actively promoting diversity in its franchise system.
Does 7-Eleven provide financing for potential franchisees?
7-Eleven has an internal financing program that can provide up to 65% financing on our initial franchise fee.
Do you offer discounts?
Yes. The 7-Eleven Veterans Franchise Program provides a discounted franchise fee to qualified United States Military veterans. Please consult the Veterans Franchise Program page for more details.
How much money will I make?
How much money you make will depend on how well you:
- Satisfy your customers’ needs by providing product assortment, value, quality, service, and a clean, safe and friendly environment
- Implement all 7-Eleven operating principles
- Recruit and develop a top-rate, customer-focused store staff that can effectively communicate with your customers
- Monitor your sales trends while managing your expenses
In most states, the 7-Eleven Franchise Disclosure Document provides some historical financial performance data for existing stores, which may assist you in your analysis.
How can I obtain a copy of your Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD)?
7-Eleven provides all interested candidates with a copy of the 7-Eleven Franchise Disclosure Document. If you would like to obtain a copy, we invite you to attend a franchise seminar in your area or complete our initial application in order to move your candidacy forward.
Who will build my store(s)?
7-Eleven has a unique approach to store development. Unlike most franchise systems, 7-Eleven does not require franchisees to develop their own stores. In our traditional franchise program, 7-Eleven provides franchisees with fully stocked, turnkey stores.
In the case of our single store and multi-unit traditional franchise programs, 7-Eleven obtains and bears the ongoing cost of the land, building and store equipment. Because Business Conversion Program franchisees retain control of their land and building, they are responsible for some of their own land and building improvement costs during the conversion process, but they benefit from 7-Eleven’s development team in the streamlined conversion of their store.
Do all 7-Eleven stores need to be open 24 hours a day?
7-Eleven operates its business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What type of equipment does 7-Eleven provide?
7-Eleven purchases and installs the following equipment in most new and converted stores:
- Bakery cases
- Cappuccino machine
- Chili-cheese dispenser
- Cigarette fixtures
- Coffee brewers, grinders and counters
- Condiment station
- Hold Hot food display
- Iced coffee
- Icemaker and merchandiser
- Low-temp cooler
- Ice cream novelty case and rack
- Open-air fresh food cases
- Post Mix beverage dispensers with bag-in-a-box and counter
- POS counter and register
- Retail Information System and Merchandise Ordering Terminals
- Roller grills and counters
- Safe, counter and security system
- Slurpee® barrel dispensers
- Backroom shelving
- Water filter
- Interior valence
- Exterior trash cans
- Window graphics
- Banner boards
- Exterior signage
- Interior striping
- Point-of-purchase interior signage
The equipment you receive for your store will vary, depending on the condition of your store and existing equipment and may not include all equipment listed above.
Single Store and Multi-Unit FAQs
What are the key advantages to the traditional 7-Eleven franchise system?
- 7-Eleven provides a fully stocked, turnkey operation
- 7-Eleven obtains and bears the ongoing cost of the land, building and store equipment. When we build a new site, we may invest as much as $1 million to $2 million
- 7-Eleven and you share in the store’s gross profit
- 7-Eleven pays for the water, sewer, gas and electric utilities
- 7-Eleven pays for any building rent and real estate taxes
- 7-Eleven provides financing for all store-operating expenses
- 7-Eleven provides bookkeeping, bill paying and payroll services for store operations
- 7-Eleven provides a support structure and business consultant who meets with the Franchisee weekly to help maximize store performance
Most franchisors either do not provide these services, or they require additional fees if these services are available. At 7-Eleven, these services are included.
What is my initial investment?
- A one-time initial franchise fee based on the store’s gross profit . The range of this fee is from $50,000 to $750,000, however, the actual fees depend on the store you select
- A down payment on the store’s inventory, supplies, business licenses, permits, bonds (approximately $29,000)
- Initial cash register funds
Please refer to the FDD for a complete description of the initial investment costs.
What is the difference between the Single Store and the Multi-Unit opportunity?
The single store franchise opportunity is perfect for candidates with retail or management experience who would like to start out by franchising a single 7-Eleven store with the possibility to add more stores later on.
The multi-unit opportunity is geared toward candidates who have significant retail or management experience along with the financial resources and the management capacity to operate 2-10 stores from the start, with the possibility to add more stores later on.
I have found a location that would be perfect for a 7-Eleven store. Can I turn that into my 7-Eleven store?
In order to be considered for development as a 7-Eleven store, all potential sites must be submitted to our Real Estate Development Team who will evaluate the site and, if appropriate, work with the developer or landlord to develop the site. If you are the broker, owner, or developer of a particular site that you believe fits 7-Eleven’s needs, please visit the 7-Eleven Real Estate website in order to submit your site. If you are not already associated with the property, we would ask you to refer the appropriate person to the 7-Eleven Real Estate website. If you own or lease the site, you may be able to convert the site to a 7-Eleven store under our Business Conversion Program.
Business Conversion Program FAQs
What are the criteria for stores seeking to convert to a 7-Eleven? Business Types
The following business types may be candidates for conversion:
- Convenience stores
- Gas stations with Convenience storesor kiosks that can be expanded
- Service bay stations that can be redeveloped
- Liquor stores
- Delicatessens or small grocery stores
- Ground-up development (new real estate sites)
Business Operating Elements
In addition to the business types listed above, we’re looking for businesses that meet the following criteria:
- At least 1 year in operation at current location
- Existing licenses (including ABC and cigarette licenses) in good standing with no recent violations
- If leasing, we prefer that at least 10 years remain on the lease and an estoppel certificate signed by your landlord
- Verifiable sales and income history for existing businesses
Site Physical Attributes
- We prefer at least 1,800 square feet of selling space after store is converted, but will consider sites with a minimum of 1,400 square feet of selling space
- 24-hour operation or a location that can convert to a 24-hour operation
- Electrical standard is 600 amp, 3-phase service
- If gas location, optimized 7-Eleven signage on pole and “tri-stripe” on building are strongly preferred
What will the conversion cost me in total?
Your initial investment includes three major components:
- An initial franchise fee of $25,000
- An inventory down payment between $20,000 and $40,000, plus an initial cash register fund
- Land and building improvements, which vary by site
Please refer to the FDD for a complete description of the initial investment costs.
Do you work with fuel distributors, dealers and agents?
If you are a distributor or wholesaler of motor fuels (whether you control the real estate or not), the Business Conversion Program for 7-Eleven can accommodate multiple classes of trade (such as corporate, dealer, agent operators and others). Our business model relative to gasoline stores deals with the in-store sales and gross profits, and not gasoline and fuel sales.
Can I convert to the 7-Eleven brand on my existing fuel/dispensers/canopy?
Once the term of your existing supply contract ends or is terminated, you can choose to convert your gasoline facility to the 7-Eleven brand.However, we can and are willing to allow you to brand the 7-Eleven store with any major gasoline brand.
I don’t have a qualifying business. How can I still participate?
Another way to participate in the Business Conversion Program if you don’t have a qualifying business is to secure a new location that can be converted. Contact your local BCP representative and discuss your interest. They will give you the details on the site attributes we are seeking and how you may still participate in BCP.
Can I carry my own products, or do I have to carry only what 7-Eleven offers?
We rely on our Franchisees to tailor their store’s product assortment to meet the needs of their customers. In doing so, we have assembled a list of recommended vendors that can source a wide array of products. Eighty-five percent of purchases are required to come from recommended vendors. In addition, we do require that each store carry certain proprietary products, such as Slurpee ® and Big Gulp® beverages and 7-Eleven coffee, and other products that are unique to exclusive to the 7-Eleven system.
How long does the conversion process take?
The entire process, from the first meeting with 7-Eleven to the store opening, can take as little as six months to over two years. The timeline varies largely, depending on whether you are remodeling an existing c-store with the requisite conditional use permits, converting lube bays to a c-store or building a c-store from the ground up.
Will 7-Eleven help me if I don’t realize a profit?
The profits you make in the store depend on how you satisfy your customers’ needs and how you execute Retailer Initiative. However, 7-Eleven does have a short-term income support program designed to provide temporary financial support if gross profit falls below certain levels.